Senior Software Engineer, Android
As a software engineer at Grio you’ll be focused on creating Android applications using the latest practices and frameworks.
Grio looks for our engineers to be both very creative and highly technical. You will be asked to tackle various coding obstacles and make smart decisions, including weighing the pros and cons of different approaches. A typical project lasts 2-4 months, and there will be plenty of opportunity to move around, intermingle on various project/product teams and hone your skills.
You should have an advanced ability to conceptualize, design and build product features. You will need to be able to take a feature and traverse the entire stack to build the pieces you will need to deliver a high-quality implementation.
Successful candidates keep up-to-date with best practices and have a familiarity with leading-edge industry developments. A successful candidate will use this deep expertise to provide technical leadership to small and large teams. Must demonstrate mastery of Java or Kotlin and at least one one modern Android design pattern (eg. MVP, MVVM, MVI, etc).
Our very best engineers are great communicators with the mental agility to both discuss the big picture and dive into the smallest details. We will expect you to articulate key technical concepts to audiences as diverse as business leaders & clients with little technical know-how, project leads, peers, and junior developers.
- Bachelor's Degree in CS/Engineering or equivalent experience in the field
- Experience writing clean, maintainable and standards compliant code
- Fundamental understanding of object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Exceptional analytical aptitude and attention to detail
- Extensive knowledge of design patterns, algorithms and data structures
- Understanding of core Android languages such as Java and Kotlin
- Knowledge of RxJava/RxAndroid, Dagger2, Jetpack Components
- Experience with a cross-platform framework such as Flutter or React Native
- Experience with SQLite
- Experience with in-app purchases
- Experience with pre-release distribution (play alpha/beta, crashlytics beta, fastlane)
- Experience with unit and integration testing Android apps
- Experience working with clients in an agency environment
- Experience with making product decisions
- Having published multiple apps to the Play Store
Candidates should be interested in leading projects, mentoring, solving tough problems, and interacting with colleagues and clients. You should have a very firm grounding in Android development and modern software development practices. You should be a person who takes pride in cleanly written code, as well as someone who can learn quickly and appreciates variety.
We do a lot of knowledge sharing so this would be a good opportunity to learn and to teach. Since we work in so many areas, we prefer developers who enjoy solving a variety of problems.
Grio is an Equal Opportunity Employer and applies this policy to all applicants and employees. Join us!
We are open to both individual contracting and full time employment opportunities for the right candidate, but we would prefer if you could work in our office at least part of the time. You won't regret it - it's a positive, fun environment with plenty of humor.
Our office is conveniently located in the SF SOMA area, close proximity to restaurants, eateries, and bistros, and a hub for bay area public transportation. Snacks, coffee and sundries always available in the Grio kitchen. Many of our staff who live in SF bike commute.
We offer a competitive benefits package and the option to work remotely some of the time.
Compensation includes profit sharing bonuses paid twice per year, an unusually nice 401k match, paid health/dental/LTD insurance and Grio pays 50% coverage for spouse and dependents, along with a competitive vacation policy.